Photo Credit: http://www.technobuffalo.com
American Airlines is being sued for more than $1 million by a family who claims their loved one died after eating an in-flight meal on the carrier, May 18, according to CNN.
The wife and daughter of deceased Othon Cortes of Miami are suing American Airlines and Sky Chefs, alleging that Cortes had eaten an in-flight meal, containing chicken, was contaminated with bacteria during their flight from Barcelona, Spain, to New York.
The lawsuit stated that while waiting for their flight to Miami after landing at John F. Kennedy Airport, Cortes began to feel sudden discomfort, sharp pains in the abdomen and other symptoms that displayed severe physical illness, according to CNN.
According to the wife and daughter, during the family’s flight to Miami, Cortes began to experience shortness of breath and became unresponsive after experiencing a cardiac event, resulting in the plane making an emergency landing in Norfolk, Virginia, according to CNN.
Cortes was declared dead on arrival.
American Airlines have declined to comment on the allegations or comments.
Sky Chefs, however, a German company that makes airlines meals for up to 300 airlines, has begun the process to dismiss the case, according to spokeswoman, Josefine Corsten.
Corsten explained that the allegations placed upon them can’t be true due to the fact that Sky Chef’s did not cater the Barcelona flight mentioned.
The family accused the companies of failing to properly maintain or prepare the food and stated that the companies allowed the food to become contaminated with Clostridium perfringens bacteria.
According to the FDA, poisoning form perfringens is reported as one of the most common foodborne illnesses in the U.S.
This story contains information from CNN.