Despite the fact that just recently Susan G. Komen For the Cure decided to cut funds that went toward Planned Parenthood, the founder and CEO announced on Feb. 3 that the group would not be cutting funds.
The nation’s largest breast-cancer advocacy agency had announced earlier that they would cut funds that went toward Planned Parenthood because the group was under Republican-led federal investigation, influenced by anti-abortion advocates.
In a statement, Nancy G. Brinker, the agency’s ambassador, said “We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants. We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives.”
The statement has reiterated that Komen’s original decision had not been “done for political reasons, or specifically to penalize Planned Parenthood.”
Komen’s has amended its new criteria to ensure that to disqualify a group or company from receiving a grant, the investigations done on them must be “criminal and conclusive” in nature.
Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood, said in a statement that she and the agency are grateful to resume their relationship with Komen. She has credited an outpouring of support with the change. In the three days after the original announcement, Planned Parenthood had raised $3 million and gained 10,000 new Facebook supporters.